In Florida, bikes have the same rights on the roads as trucks, cars, buses and motorcycles. However, many drivers don’t see bicyclists until it’s too late. Some drivers have the attitude the bicycle riders are “in the way” when sharing the roads, which can lead to reckless accidents.
What To Do After A Bike Accident With A Car or Truck
- Do not talk to the driver who hit you. Don’t discuss who was wrong or right in the situation or how the crash happened. Don’t accept blame and don’t blame the driver. The less you say to the person who hit you the better because this is information that can be used against you later on in court. Talk only to the police officer about the factual details of the accident.
- Report the accident to the police. Usually an officer will be on scene of a bike vs.auto accident because these crashes are typicallly severe. However, sometimes a bicyclist may walk away from an accident thinking they’re not hurt, only to find out later on that they’ve been injured. Even if you don’t file an accident report at the time of the crash, do it as soon as possible afterwards
- Don’t fix your bike. Your bike is evidence and repairing your bike could damage or erase critical evidence in your case. In fact, photograph the bike as soon as possible after the accident.
- Don’t pay your traffic ticket. When you pay a traffic citation, you are admitting to the courts that you are guilty of whatever law was broken. This can be used against you in court by the driver’s attorneys. Have your bicycle accident lawyer handle any traffic tickets that result from your accident.
- Hire an experienced Bicycle Accident Lawyer. Bike crash cases are very complicated because of deadlines, insurance claims, and even criminal charges, so it’s important to have an experienced personal injury lawyer defend your rights.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
Car and truck drivers are one of the greatest dangers to bicyclists in Sarasota and Manatee Counties. From 2005 – 2009 in Sarasota County alone, 592 bicyclists were hurt in traffic accidents, according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. In Manatee County over the same time period, 499 bicycle riders were hurt in traffic related accidents.
Bike riders wear only a helmet to protect them, so when they get hurt in a car or truck accident, the injuries are extremely serious. Broken bones, internal injuries, traumatic brain injury, spinal injury and paralysis are all common outcomes of a bike verses vehicle crash. Recovery can be long, painful, and expensive.
If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident, you should talk to a bike accident lawyer immediately. For a free case evaluation contact us at Buckman and Buckman, P.A. at (941) 923-7700, or e-mail us. You can also complete our confidential case evaluation form. We promise to make your case our priority.
Buckman and Buckman, P.A.
Personal Injury & Estate Planning
2023 Constitution Boulevard
Sarasota, FL 34231
(941) 923-7700 Office
(941) 923-7736 Fax
Areas of Practice
Mr. Buckman is a highly-skilled Professional who expedited my case efficiently and effectively. He was ethical, knowledgeable, patient and thorough from start to finish. I could not have asked for anything more!
Drake is a conscientious person and a knowledgeable attorney. He's a great counselor to have working for you. His costs are reasonable; and he will tell you the truth whether that's what you want to hear or not. He's experienced in writing Wills and setting up trusts and estates. I highly recommend him.
The staff and Drake Buckman at Buckman and Buckman were true professionals. Everything was explained to us in a manner that both Joanne and I fully understood. We sincerely thank them for the help they provided.
I would highly recommend Drake Buckman to represent myself and any of my loved ones. From the initial contact, Drake always had my best interest, health and welfare as a priority. His friendly, personable manner gave me comfort and confidence from the start of my legal pursuit. Drake Buckman was thorough the entire duration of my case, achieving success on my behalf.
I found Amiee Buckman to be very attentive, thorough, professional, and very prompt in responding to my needs. I was impressed with not only her professionalism and expertise, but also with her sincerity and honesty. I would highly recommend Amiee Buckman and the firm of Buckman & Buckman, P.A. to anyone that needed services in the area of law.
My sister and I recently used Buckman and Buckman for our father’s affairs after he passed. Mr. Buckman is not only extremely knowledgeable and helpful, but he is also compassionate and caring. I would highly recommend him to our family and friends.
Very FINE And professional people to deal with. I would recommend them to anyone.
The facts and circumstances of your case may differ from the matters in which testimonials have been provided. All results of cases handled by the firm are not provided and not all clients have given testimonials. Every case is different, and each client’s situation must be evaluated and handled on its own merits.