Sarasota Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Bicycle Accident Lawyers Serving Sarasota and Manatee
Today, throughout Sarasota and Manatee counties and all along the coast, you can find bicycle lanes and separate bike paths that are designed to accommodate bicyclists and prevent accidents. Still, collisions between bicycles and motor vehicles continue to happen, causing serious and often fatal injuries to the cyclists.
At Buckman & Buckman, P.A., our Sarastoa bicycle accident lawyers believe that a cyclist’s rights should never be ignored. When someone else causes a bicycle accident, we fight for the compensation that the injured cyclist deserves.
We have many decades of experience with successfully representing bicycle accident victims and their families. Contact us today to receive a free consultation and discuss how we can assist you.
As you will quickly see, we are family-run law firm that treats our clients like family as well. You will work directly with a lawyer – not a paralegal – and you will receive the close attention that you deserve. We believe that approach makes a meaningful difference for our clients.
What Rights Do You Have as a Cyclist in Florida?
Florida law defines a bicycle as a “vehicle” and deems a bicyclist to be a “driver.” Along those lines, bicyclists have the same right to use the roadways as any other motorist. Additionally, in Florida, car and truck drivers must make way for bicycles. The duties they owe to bicycle riders include:
- Keeping a proper lookout. Drivers must “exercise due care to avoid colliding with … any person propelling a human-powered vehicle.” If a car or truck driver observes a cyclist, the driver must slow down and take due precaution to avoid a collision.
- Passing safely. Car and truck drivers must provide at least three feet of room between their vehicles and any bicycles they pass on the road. Large vehicles, vehicles moving at high speed and vehicles towing trailers should provide even more room. Passing too close to a bicycle causes some cyclists to “hug the curb” or ride on the sidewalk, increasing the risk of an accident.
- Opening and closing vehicle doors. Being “doored,” or crashing into a car door that suddenly opens in front of a bicycle rider, is a common bicycle accident. It can cause serious injury. Under Florida law, a motorist who opens a car door must be reasonably sure it “can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic,” including bicycle traffic.
If a motorist failed to follow these rules and caused a bicycle accident that harmed you, then you have the right to seek full compensation for your injuries and other losses, including funds to pay for the repair or replacement of your bicycle. Buckman & Buckman will thoroughly investigate your case and determine how a motorist’s negligence harmed you.
What Compensation Can You Recover After a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
Bicycle crashes are like motorcycle accidents. Because there is no vehicle structure to protect them, bicycle riders can suffer severe injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries.
A cyclist’s recovery can be long, painful and expensive process. At Buckman & Buckman, we will use our legal skill and experience to help you and your family to get through this process.
The goal of our bicycle accident investigation will be to determine all of your losses and to identify all compensation available to you, including:
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost income and diminished future earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of familial relationships.
In Florida, your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance may provide compensation to you after a bicycle accident. You may also have additional auto insurance available to you. If a car or truck driver caused the crash, we can seek compensation through the at-fault driver’s auto insurance.
Insurance policies can be complex and confusing. However, we will know how to comb through the policies involved in your case and determine what is owed to you.
Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys Want to Help You
A bicycle accident that results in injuries should be taken as seriously as a bad car or motorcycle accident. Florida law protects the rights of bicyclists who are hurt in crashes. We will put the law to work for you.
Contact Buckman & Buckman today about your bicycle accident. We serve clients in Sarasota, Bradenton, Venice, North Port and surrounding areas. You can count on one of our experienced lawyers to work closely with you and learn the details of your case. We believe that the attorney-client relationship we establish with you will provide a strong foundation for your case and play a major role as we pursue full and fair compensation for you. We will be dedicated to getting you back on your feet.
We also will represent you on a contingency fee basis. You will pay no fee unless we obtain compensation for you. Get in touch with us today to learn more.