Venice Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
The Florida Suncoast has many winding roads and coastal views. It is ideal for scenic motorcycle rides. But sadly, not all car and truck drivers know how to safely share the road with motorcycle riders in this region. Crashes commonly occur in Venice and surrounding areas between innocent motorcyclists and negligent drivers of other motor vehicles.
All-too-often, the insurance company that represents the other driver will blame the motorcycle rider. Your own insurance company may blame you, as well. Because insurance companies will put their profits over your health and future, you will need an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer by your side to fight for you and your loved ones.
Buckman & Buckman, P.A., is a family-run law firm. We have protected the rights of motorcycle accident victims and their families in Venice and surrounding areas in Sarasota County for more than two decades. Our personal injury attorneys will fight for every single dollar of compensation that you and your loved ones are entitled to receive. If you or your family member suffered catastrophic injuries in a motorcycle accident in the greater Venice area, contact us today to receive a free consultation.
Auto Accidents in Venice: A Look at the Numbers
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the total number of motorcycle crashes in our state rose to 10,331 in 2016. It was the highest total over the most recent three-year period:
FLORIDA MOTORCYCLE CRASHES
The 515 motorcycle fatalities in 2016 were less than the 546 reported in 2015 but more than the 427 in 2014. Motorcycle crashes also resulted in injuries and deaths to passengers:
FLORIDA MOTORCYCLE PASSENGERS
In Sarasota County, the motorcycle accident statistics for the most recent three-year period were:
SARASOTA COUNTY MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS
Steps You Can Take After a Motorcycle Accident in Venice
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident in Venice, the actions you take in the immediate aftermath can often have a significant impact on any civil action you take. You can take a few key steps after an accident that will help your claim.
Your first step should always be to seek medical attention. Even if you do not think that you were seriously hurt, many injuries involve delayed symptoms. Insurance companies often treat delays in treatment as evidence that your injuries were not severe enough to justify an injury claim.
When possible, you should try to take pictures of your crash scene and get witness contact information. If you are unable to do this because of the need for medical care, you should try to have friends or family members do this for you. Witnesses will not stay on the scene for very long.
Get a copy of your crash report from the agency that responded to your accident. In most cases, the reporting agency in the Venice area will be the Venice Police Department or Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office.
Finally, do not speak to the other driver’s insurance company until you have legal representation. Contact Buckman & Buckman before you talk to any insurer.
Why Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen in Venice?
Every motorcycle crash in Venice is different. However, certain types of accidents and causes are especially common. It is important to work with a law firm that understands those common causes. In general, they include:
- Rear-end accidents — Some drivers follow motorcyclists without leaving a sufficient stopping distance. In other words, they “tailgate.” Rear-end crashes also occur when other drivers speed or fail to pay attention.
- Lane-sharing accidents — Florida prohibits “lane splitting.” Motorcyclists cannot ride between two lanes of stopped or slow-moving traffic. However, the law allows “lane sharing.” Two motorcyclists traveling in the same direction can share a lane. Motorists unfamiliar with this concept fail to recognize the rights of motorcyclists and cause crashes.
- Lane-change accidents — Before they change lanes, drivers must do “shoulder checks,” or check their blind spots. If they fail to check, they can hit a motorcyclist. These crashes also occur when drivers misjudge the speed of motorcyclists coming in the same direction.
- Left-turn accidents — Some drivers misgauge how fast an oncoming motorcycle is traveling, or they fail to see it, and then turn left in front of the motorcyclist. A rider cannot avoid an incident. The rider will either crash, get ejected from his or her bike or be forced to lay the bike down.
- Distracted driving accidents — Many motorists in Florida take their eyes off the road to use cell phones. Talking or text messaging are just a few of the numerous types of distractions that can lead to collisions between motor vehicles and motorcycles.
- Drunk driving accidents — Florida prohibits driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or a controlled substance. Impaired motorists are much more likely to commit serious errors behind the wheel, especially when they must share the road with motorcycle riders.
- Drowsy driving accidents — Driver fatigue is commonly associated with commercial truck drivers. Realistically, it impacts all motorists. Tired drivers are much more likely to strike motorcycles late at night.
Some motorcycle accidents may not involve other vehicles and could be the result of defective parts or inappropriate repairs. Manufacturers or maintenance companies could be liable for injuries in such cases.
How Our Venice Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Help You
When you work with Buckman & Buckman, you will immediately have an experienced attorney on your side who:
- Understands the real value of your case
- Will be willing to fight to help you recover it.
Our firm can discuss all of the specific facts of your case during a free, no-obligation consultation. We will review all of the facts of your accident and work with medical experts to accurately gauge your expected lifetime recovery costs. Once we have collected all of the necessary information, Buckman & Buckman will negotiate with the insurance company for a fair and full settlement.
If the insurer does not provide an adequate amount of compensation, our firm will not be afraid to take your case to court. If your case goes to trial, we will fight aggressively on your behalf. A jury could award you damages for all of your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering and more.
Get Help from Our Venice Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
Did you suffer severe injuries or lose a loved one in a motorcycle accident in Sarasota County? Do not discuss your case with any insurance company representatives until you have hired an attorney that you trust.
Buckman & Buckman represents residents and visitors in Venice and surrounding areas of Florida. You can have our lawyers provide a complete evaluation of your case when you call or contact us online to set up a free consultation.